Saturday, July 28, 2007

The Sad and the Raw

Whew--busy week! Had some dear friends and our beautiful god-daughter here for a few days and it went quickly! It was fun to share raw food with them--been 99% raw for the last 6 weeks (the exception being "raw cashews" that I'm not sure of the true origin of) but gave in to the tradition to eat one favorite meal of non-raw Indian food with them, as we do a couple of times a year when they visit. It felt loving and healthy to be able to do that and then not to obsess about it or go on to eat non-raw afterward. It was helpful to know that it was enjoyable but that I felt really tired and drained for the next couple of days--I think that is beneficial in encouraging myself to stay raw even when it is challenging. What an immense blessing to have found this raw/living diet and lifestyle--such an amazing gift! Our friends really enjoyed the green smoothies and have been drinking more of them--so has my sister; I love to hear that familiar tale of friends and family inspired to try raw food from watching us eat it and thrive!

Like Greenmama and many others on the raw/living foods diet and lifestyle, I continue to feel myself more drawn to eat simple foods, and often it's primarily fruit! In the Ayurvedic paradigm, I believe I'm a Vata-Pitta, and think Candida may also be at play after many years of frequent antibiotic use and sugar/junk food intake, so I notice I do feel better if I eat more greens and nuts/fats. (I know that is controversial, but I personally believe that Candida overgrowth or a prevalence of some non-beneficial organism could be one aspect of the aberrant bowel-ecology that is responsible for poor health and digestion). It is neat how everyone who eats raw is different with regards to the ratio/balance of what works for them and fun to figure it out intuitively and experientially. I trust that eating and living well will take care of things slowly, over time, but I'm open to doing a bowel cleanse after I'm done nursing altogether...

Had a little conflict with hubby, who is struggling with living in the world and working so much, challenged with finding time for artistic/musical expression. Shell's Holistic Raw blog cheered me up, so I wanted to share it with you... (Regarding today's entry on her blog: I find eating raw that I feel more connected with others and love for them to share my raw meals and snacks, but the tone, the lovely pics and entries and her sweet voice and lifepath bring me so much joy and reminds me of all the wonderful, loving people striving to bring happiness and peace to each other and the earth, every day.). The moments of feeling loving and joyful and those lost in confusion and suffering come and go, but remaining present and engaging in high-vibration things like being in nature, meditating and being around/hearing others share from their loving space really help me to stay present and conscious more often! (I think many of us are striving to be more like the Dalai Lama, who seems to remain conscious "full-time". More on that here

Today I ate: (always organic unless otherwise indicated)
2 peaches
handful cherries
2 bananas
fruit salad (golden delcious apple, grapes, banana)
pkt chlorella
nori rolls with cabbage salad, lettuce, avocado and golden beet
more bananas
water

I miss my smoothie but it's getting late--will probably eat some more fruit or greens... Must go, our darling 3 year old just asked me for "the biggest banana that can fit on the world", so I'm happy to oblige him with a snack!


Here's some pics of the food I ate over the last couple of days:

Namaste. :)

3 comments:

Michelle said...

hi marykaye...thanks for your sweet comments about my blog. I had actually found your blog a few days back, so i'm smiling 'cos you found me too! The joys of modern technology :)
Shine on sister,
((hugs))
shell
xoxo

Michelle said...

oh, and also, just wanted to say that i totally get what you say about being more connected when eating raw! There's just so much more love flowing around :) I was just being honest about the fact that there have been occasions when i have not felt very connected being with loved ones who choose a very different lifestyle to me. I'm working on it!
one love,
shell x

River Sanctuary: Marykaye said...

Me too! :)